Friday, December 11, 2009

I Wouldn't Even Be a Course Student If It Weren't For...

Gary Renard, and his book, The Disappearance of the Universe. That is, hands down, my all time favorite book ever written. I just finished reading it for the 22nd time. I don't know why I started keeping track of the number of reads. I had no idea I would read it so many times, and to tell you the truth, I have no intention of stopping...until I'm Home, that is.

I would think that after reading something that many times I'd be sick of it, but my experience has been the exact opposite of that. The more I read it, the more it blows my mind and amazes me. The same goes for Gary's second book, Your Immortal Reality, and also the Course itself which for some reason I didn't keep track of the number of reads. I also love anything by the Wapnicks.

I may be a mad Course student now, but with help like this available there's hope for me yet. These wonderful Teachers all seem to say that repetition is mandatory and having these ideas floating around in the mind helps them to become dominant. I'm all for having the Holy Spirit take over my unconscious mind.

On the other hand, I really don't think that compulsively reading something over and over is necessary. I just happen to love to read, and since I ran into this teaching during a very difficult time in my life, I was ready. As Jesus says in the Course, paraphrasing, tolerance for pain may be high but is not without limit. To that I say....UNCLE!

1 comment:

  1. DU p 189, 190:
    Repetition is not only perfectly all right, it's mandatory.

    Ok, so, I put in a previous comment that I'm almost finished my 12th reading of DU, and done YIR 8 times, what I didn't mention is that I don't even really like to read!

    Your passion mirrors mine - God love you for it!!!! (metaphorically speaking of course) LOL God loves us anyway!

    ReplyDelete