Friday, December 17, 2010

What We Want...What We Really, Really, Want!

It's that time of year again! The kids have made their lists, and checked them way more than twice, and in fact, are still in the process of adding on and on and on!

I certainly think that I want a whole bunch of stuff which I've simplified by narrowing it down to just a winning lottery ticket, preferably a really big one!

It seems that our whole lives are spent in a state of want. Since studying the Course, it occurs to me that I don't really know what I want. One of my favorite Workbook Lessons is number 24, "I do not perceive my own best interests."

This hasn't really stopped me from thinking that I want stuff, but it has helped me to think differently about this entire subject.

I think that maybe all the stuff we want, be it tangible or intangible, for ourselves or for others, is really symbolic of wanting our Father in Heaven. Maybe it really is our Home in Heaven that we miss.

As always, Jesus says it best, "For still deeper than the ego's foundation, and much stronger than it will ever be, is your intense and burning love of God, and His for you." T-13:III:2:8.

Amen and Thank God!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, it's like what Arten and Pursah tell us in the opening chapter of Disappearance, 'If we gave you everything you think you want, you’d be looking for something else a month later.'

    ReplyDelete